COVID-19 has seriously strained the health sector, including the physical and mental well-being of workers. Staff shortages threaten health systems across the country. Meanwhile, health and care providers are under pressure to address inequities in care exposed by the pandemic.
It's also true that creative and innovative approaches to tackling these challenges are emerging. Healthcare Excellence Canada is committed to engaging people in the workforce to help shape how we can improve care, so their work-life is improved too. We believe we can foster worker well-being alongside safer, high-quality care through approaches that focus on:
- reducing on-the-job pressures for those in the healthcare workforce and improving their daily experiences
- recognizing and addressing mental health needs among workers, particularly those working in long-term care
- co-creating new approaches for delivering healthcare services that address the needs of everyone involved, including care providers
- identifying opportunities to create or adapt health human resources policy
- working with health and care organizations to support them to engage essential care partners as members of care teams