Healthcare Excellence Canada (HEC) is committed to supporting system-wide safety and quality improvements that benefit patients, families, caregivers, communities and systems. Our goal is to enhance the experience of care for patients, improve health outcomes, optimize costs, support the health workforce and foster equity.
An example of our work related to value is the value-based healthcare toolkit. This resource is about linking money spent over a patient’s journey to the outcomes that matter most to them – rather than focusing on the amount of services, or specific processes or products.
To improve value from this perspective, HEC supports healthcare leaders, patients and caregivers with tools and information to support decision-making. This work includes:
- partnering with patients to understand what matters to them and explore models of care that reflect their needs and circumstances
- seeking evidence to understand gaps and developing resources and programming that advance best practices in healthcare safety and quality
- amplifying the role of essential care partners and processes that can be used to engage them in care decisions
- looking for ways help extend the health workforce, including through strategies that maximize the scope, availability and value provided by each professional
- decreasing the costs of preventable harm and compounded harm, which are a result of how we respond to patient safety incidents