The articles in this issue highlight the importance of:
- person-centred approaches to care
- meaningfully engaging essential care partners
- maintaining clear, consistent and reciprocal communication between residents, family members, essential care partners and staff
- supporting long-term care workers
- conducting research in partnership with long-term care homes, residents and essential care partners to support the implementation of evidence-informed interventions and contribute to better care, quality of life, and health outcomes
This special issue was supported by Healthcare Excellence Canada and the Canadian Institutes of Health Research.